POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Jul 2000 10:27:01
Message: <chrishuff-DB8295.09271003072000@news.povray.org>
In article <39609879@news.povray.org>, "Philippe Debar"
<phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Great. I suppose the corrected-map solution would be the quickest
> (render-time-wise). For the function pattern, I suppose you mean
> wrapping an "adapter" function around the noise/bumps.

I'm not sure what you mean...I meant something like this:

#declare oldBozo = function {max(0, min(1, noise3d(x,y,z)*1.5 - 0.25))}

This should be pretty close to the original bozo, though I was just
guessing at the range(this one goes from -0.25 to 1.25 before clipping
to create the plateaus, I don't know how far the original went). And it
should also be quite fast...I rarely notice any speed difference with
functions this simple.

> Just for interest's sake: is it possible to re-write the old noise/bumps
> function from scratch in povscript? Isn't the noise function iterative?
> Is it possible to write iterative functions for the function pattern
> or isosurface?

You could...but it would be a huge pain and would parse slowly. This was
why I added noise3d() for use outside isosurfaces, and the eval_*()
functions. And I wouldn't be able to, I don't know anything about noise
and hash functions except for what they do.
BTW, what do you mean by "iterative function"? Do you mean recursive or
looping?

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/